An automatic alarm was triggered at Signs and Labels’ Corrie Way factory at 11.30 last night, alerting fire stations in neighbouring Whitehill and Stockport.

Six firefighters managed to contain and put out the fire, which the fire service confirmed had been caused by an electrical fault in an air conditioning unit. No further investigation is anticipated, a fire service spokesman confirmed.

The company’s Richard Walmsley said the fire had broken out in a small room that contained some equipment and substrates but that although there was “some disruption” that any impact on the business was negligible.

A fire service statment said: “It was started by a faulty air conditioner unit and it spread to some of the printing equipment, damaging around 25 per cent of the room.

“All the doors were shut until we got there so the fire was confined to the room of origin.”